Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday Morning Tidbits

.
The Mets have signed veteran right-hander Elmer Dessens to a minor-league contract. Don't panic, Met fans! They didn't sign him to be the Opening Day starter--if he throws a pitch for the Mets at all, I'll be a little bit surprised. Buffalo needs pitchers, too; for that matter, so does Binghamton. I don't think Elmer will wind up on the B-Mets--I just wanted to write "Binghamton" for the first time on this blog. The Binghamton Mets are, I'm pretty sure, the closest professional baseball team to my home in Corning. How did I get here? Oh, yes ... Elmer Dessens. I'm not sure I have anything more to say about him, except that he's 38 years old, and he had three pretty good seasons for Cincinnati a long time ago.

And here's an ex-Mets transaction I missed (hat tip to Hot Foot): David Newhan has signed a minor-league deal with the Houston Astros. I thought David was going to be a pretty good utility man for New York a couple of years ago; he had a very strong training camp. Regular season came ... not so much.

Speaking of Spring Training ... it's only a week away, boys and girls!

1 comment: