Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday Morning Nuggets


Frank Viola, the Mets' last twenty-game winner (nearly twenty years ago!), is going to work with the Cleveland Indians' pitchers this Spring Training, helping pitching coach Carl Willis. Frankie was a one-time teammate of Indians manager Eric Wedge.

In 2½ seasons with the Mets, Viola went 38-32 with a 3.31 ERA, and the mark of 249.2 innings he pitched in 1990 hasn't been seriously challenged since. He originally came to New York in late '89 for five other pitchers, two of whom went on to have long-term big-league success: Kevin Tapani and Rick Aguilera.

Following up on yesterday's Robbie Alomar story, a statement from his own website, www.robertoalomar.com:

"This is a very private, personal matter and I greatly appreciate all the support I have received in the past few days from my family, friends and colleagues in baseball. I am in very good health and I ask that you respect my privacy during this time."

No comments:

Post a Comment